This my first time joining Doodle Bugs Teaching's Five for Friday linky party!
Here are five random things about my week:
1. I was asked to write post for the International Reading Association's Engage blog about what it is like teaching in Texas while the rest of the country adopts the Common Core standards. Check it out!
2. We started learning about possessive nouns. Thank goodness because I am tired of seeing apostrophes every time my kids put an s on a word! I had my students each choose an item and label it with a sentence telling who it belongs to. Of course my items were the most popular choice!
3. I realized Tim McGraw had a new CD out and downloaded the album. I LOVE Tim McGraw and go see him perform at least once a year!
4. Today was Go Texan Day in Houston because the rodeo is beginning this weekend. Our students got to dress up in western wear. They normally have to wear uniforms (khakis and polos) so this was a treat for them. I am not a Texan, but I do own cowboy boots so that was my extent of participation.
5. We have been working on writing procedural text. My students chose a topic and wrote/sequenced the steps on index cards with pictures. (A 3rd grade teacher had her students do this with a summary. I saw it and thought it'd be a perfect way to display procedural text.) Some of their topics are so funny and telling of the digital age we are in - "How to Change a Computer Password" & "How to Download an App."